I can't believe it's been almost 3 months since my last post. Many Life Changes have happened since but the good news is that Scully, Dovi and Whiskers are all happy, healthy and safe.
We hope your animal companions are, too.
As a member of ROAR (Rescue Operations for Animals of the Reservation), I'd like to bring you some tips on being a responsible pet guardian/owner, with my own additional comments...and please remember ROAR in your annual charities. The homeless animals on the Reservation count on us for food, clothing, shelter and medical care.
1. Spay and neuter your pets. Help prevent needless euthanasia of healthy animals.
2. Take them to the vet for annual wellness check-ups.
3. Protect them from the elements, pests and other animals- especially human predators.
4. Give them plenty of drinking water and feed them daily on a regular schedule...and feed them enough. They will eat more now that the weather is colder.
5. Give them plenty of exercise and playtime with other dogs or cats (they need friends just like people do). It's good for them and it's good for you. Make sure they have adequate clothing for colder weather. Dogs get pneumonia easily and if it's cold enough for your nose to run, Fido or Fluffy need a jacket or coat!
Remember that the holidays bring added stress for them, too. Unexpected guests and any changes to their routine will bring them stress and may cause unseemly behavior. Be patient with them and remember they don't understand what all the commotion is about.
Enjoy this time of year with them- it's over so soon.