Thursday, February 17, 2011

Scully's Birthday

Yes, today is the day we celebrate Scully's birthday.

February 17th.

I don't know if it's really his birthday.

I really don't know where he was born, but I do have the feeling he's a local boy.

I brought him home from the Warren Animal Shelter on November 17, 1999.

The vet who treated him really couldn't tell how old he was because he was so underdeveloped- just a little-bitty pup.

Starvation will do that to a growing body.

The vet's best guess was between nine months and three years old. So, I counted backwards to February 17th and marked the day ever since.

As for our birthday celebration, we started out with cookies in the car on the way to the park, where we went for a nice walk. It was a glorious, spring-feeling walk. We stopped and smelled grass, leaves, twigs and branches, fence posts and footprints in the melting snow. He and Dovi played in the snow and I detected several doggies smiles.

He had a nice nap in the car, looking like Tarzan because he managed to pull one arm out of his sweater. Coming back up the stairs, he curled up for another nap on his bed with his favorite blanket.

Smelling a nice dinner cooking, he got up and patiently waited for a nice bowl of yummy birthday dinner...a little dry dog food mixed with ground beef, rice, potatoes and some nice vegetable broth.

Of course he came and thanked me when he finished. He's always so grateful and loving. Dovi came and thanked me,too.

My eyes are welling up as I write this...I pray I have many more years with my Scully Boy. He's been such a blessing to me- my Best friend and Faithful Companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment